Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Kitchen Poem


The striated flesh of a bisected potato

The fistfuls of spinach thrown in a hot pan

Hot steam flashing up like a magician’s trick

When I am elbows-deep in a mound of dough

Creating stealthy well-being under the guise of cookies

That’s when I am most me.
 

Teeth gritted in a determined smile

Whirlwinding across the linoleum timing pot to pan

Snapping at anyone who dares cross the invisible line into my domain

That’s when I am happiest.
 

And when it’s over and I am sitting at my own meal

Plate neatly piled with veg and starch and meat and bread

I’m actually disappointed that I have to eat this now and the fun part’s over

Where I am the witch who wields the ladle.

4 Comments:

At April 15, 2014 at 10:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

<3!!

 
At April 16, 2014 at 8:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You might like the book Witch in the Kitchen by Cait Johnson.

 
At April 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM , Blogger jexx said...

I think I *had* that book at one time, Bex (or at least one very like it)! It didn't make it through one of my many book purges. :( There was a time in Winston-Salem (a magical time) that I lived near a bookshop that paid money for used books. Oh, it was a lovely, if cash-strapped, time. Heh.
Thanks for reminding me about it, I might have to re-buy it!

 
At April 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home